Statisticians provide crucial guidance in determining what information is reliable and which predictions can be trusted. They often help search for clues to the solution of a scientific mystery and sometimes keep investigators from being misled by false impressions.
In a typical day, a statistician will:
- Use data to solve problems in a wide variety of fields
- Apply mathematical and statistical knowledge to social, economic, medical, political, and ecological problems
- Work individually and/or as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Travel to consult with other professionals or attend conferences, seminars, and continuing education activities
- Advance the frontiers of statistics, mathematics, and probability through education and research
If you enjoy any of these aspects of a statistician’s daily job, a career in statistics may be the right choice for you!